Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Restaurant Review: Sushi Matsuri

My loss is your gain. After an eventful week, and a 5 hour wait in the emergency room, Shirley and I decided that going home to make dinner wasn't quite enough. We decided we needed some good food and a lot of it. We needed... a sushi boat.

My usual sushi haunt, Miya Sushi is our go-to place. So we went there, ready for that sushi boat we know and love. But... it was dark. Windows papered up. Shit. Luckily, a quick investigation revealed it was just a remodeling.

We still had the problem of needing a sushi boat to fill that hole in our hearts, so we went to Sushi Matsuri right down the street. And we were pleasantly surprised.

Location: In Butler Plaza, right next to Target Copy and Blockbuster.

Atmosphere: Good. It's small and a bit cramped, something I think is a bonus for a sushi place. Japanese lanterns, a lot of wood, and random decorations make for a comfortable atmosphere.

Menu: I'm not going to lie, I didn't examine it as close as I should have. There was only one thing I had my eye on when I walked in. I did notice they had a lot of options. Lots of entrees and appetizers to choose from. The sushi menu seemed about as extensive as any of the other places in Gainesville.

Service: Pretty good. The hostess seemed kind of confused when we walked in needing a table for two. I don't really know why. But the rest was friendly and quick enough that I'm gonna chalk it up to it being late at night and her being tired.

Food: Presentation was good. Very good. And that sushi boat... they pack it full. This is the most impressive boat I've found in Gainesville and at comparable price to the other places. Tons of sashimi and rolls, and huge hand rolls. It was really nice. It also came with wakame so huge props for that. We dove into it, really excited. Unfortunately, I started with the salmon. One piece was actually icy. And the cut really wasn't that good. Luckily, everything else was much better but starting with the salmon made me very critical and inspecting of the rest of the fish. Luckily, it didn't dissapoint and I ended up having a great dinner.

The miso was miso. Not great, just ok. The salad was kinda bleh. I like my ginger dressings to have a bit of sweetness to them, this one really didn't.

Price: Average. I paid 45$ for the sushi boat, which was probably enough food for 3-4. (It provided dinner to two starving people and lunch for one later.)

Overall: 7/10 This is a more than fitting replacement for Miya while it's being remodeled. I would definitely come back, but because of my previous experience with the salmon, I'll probably stick to tuna and other fish.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

It would be great if you could do a review of Miya Sushi once it reopens! Their sushi cuts were definitely cleaner than they were at Sushi Matsuri, even though Sushi Matsuri's was more visually appealing. It will be interesting to see how that changes at Miya after remodeling.

persephone113 said...

Matsuri is my favorite sushi places in Gainesville. In addition to the sushi, I love their appetizers, my favorite is the Oshitashi (spinach with toasted sesame). Also, the eggplant and age tofu are good.

Liz Stemm said...

How long did it take you to get your food?

I've had a couple experiences with extremely long waits for food at Matsuri (including an extremely awkward first date). My roommates and I used to only go if we had two hours to spare.